(BALTIC Open Submission installation view. BALTIC Centre for Contemporary Art, Gateshead. Photo: Rob Harris © 2020 BALTIC)
I’m currently making monoprints from handsewn patchworked fabric, a technique I have developed as a combination of printmaking and fabric arts. I first draw each element, then cut out each component part and wrap it in fabric. Sewing the wrapped component parts together gives defined lines that are picked up in the printmaking process. I ink up each element using oil-based relief printmaking ink, arrange multiple elements on the bed of an electric press, layer up with cotton-rich printmaking paper, and print under felt blankets using the solid metal rollers of an electric press. This process has enough pressure to transfer the detail of stitching, loose threads and fabric texture onto the printmaking paper, and to give a slight deboss to the image. The overlapped fabric edges of each wrapped component part give a soft x-ray quality to each piece. It takes ages, but I like it.
I also make linocuts, etchings, and a bit of letterpress.
I am a studio member at Northern Print.
List of exhibitions (group exhibitions unless stated)
• 2023 One And Another, Northern Print, Newcastle
• 2021 BALTIC Open Submission, BALTIC Gateshead
• 2011-2019 (annual event) exhibitor at Thought Bubble Sequential Art Festival, Leeds
• 2018 A Hopeful Jumble, in Idea of North (group exhibition), BALTIC Gateshead (part of Great Exhibition of the North)
• 2017 International Artist’s Book Fair, The Tetley, Leeds
• 2012-2015 (annual event) Footprints, Northern Print, Newcastle
• 2015 Artist’s talk as part of BALTIC Artist’s Book Fair, Gateshead (solo talk)
• 2014 Print Points North exhibition as part of International Print Biennale. Arts Centre Washington, Tyne and Wear
• 2014 Celebrity Homes (solo exhibition), Beatdown Records, Newcastle
• 2014 Lakes International Comic Art Festival
• 2013 Abode, Greenfield Arts, Newton Aycliffe, Tyne and Wear
• 2013 BBC One Show roadshow, Gateshead
• 2013 Celebrity Homes (solo exhibition), Pink Lane Coffee, Newcastle
• 2013 BALTIC Artist’s Book Fair, Gateshead